We do more than just respond to emergencies. We also work to prevent emergencies from happening in the first place, and protect people and property. By doing these things, we aim to make communities in East Sussex and Brighton an Hove safer.
Emergency Response Services
Our crews are available around the clock, every day of the year, to respond to a variety of fires and other emergencies, such as:
- Road Traffic Collisions
- Water Rescue
- Rescue from Height
- Hazardous Materials and Environmental protection
- Animal Rescues
- Other rescues – vehicles and equipment with off road/other capabilities to support incidents
UK Resilience – The National Resilience Capabilities Programme, run by the government, aims to improve the UK's ability to deal with and bounce back from significant civil emergencies. As part of this programme, we have access to specialized vehicles and equipment that can be deployed to deal with incidents that have a national impact. This includes:
- Chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear explosive incidents
- Water and high volume pumping
In addition to responding to emergencies, we also provide education and advice to our communities. Often, people are most at risk from fires in their own homes, which is why we have created a range of services to promote the safety, health, and wellbeing of our local citizens. These services include:
- Schools education and youth engagement aimed at children and young people
- Free Home Safety Visits - Small things can make a real difference in your home, keeping you and your loved ones safer. Book a home safety visits or find out about some of the things you can do yourself
- Road safety advice
- Water Safety & Drowning Prevention - Resources to reduce drowning risk
- Arson Reduction – Intentionally started fires, also known as arson or deliberate fires, are a significant issue for not only the Fire Service but also the Police and Ambulance Service. These types of fires put lives at risk and require valuable resources to be diverted towards addressing them.
- Save Safely – Provides immediate support with heating issues.
- Community Fire Stations – These are located in the centre of our communities and are accessible to local groups.
Our protection services focus on three main areas: enforcing legislation related to fire safety, managing risks related to fires and other emergencies, and reducing incidents of arson. We take an integrated approach to addressing these issues.
- Fire Safety – Offers advice, supports consultation and provides enforcement for workplaces and communal areas in non-business premises.
- Fire Alarms – Advice and Support
- Sprinklers – We promote a better understanding of the benefits of Automatic Fire Suppression Systems.
- Fire Investigation – Understanding the cause of a fire is crucial because it can help prevent future incidents. By investigating and determining the reasons behind a fire, we can identify any underlying issues or hazards that need to be addressed to minimize the risk of similar incidents occurring in the future.
- Arson reduction – We work closely with the Police, Crimestoppers, local authorities, neighborhood watch schemes, and other agencies to educate and deter potential arsonists. By collaborating with these organizations, we can increase public awareness about the dangers of arson and work together to prevent these types of incidents from occurring.
Special Service Charges
We provide and charge organisations, individuals and companies for various other special services.