East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is pleased to confirm dates for electric blanket testing.
Last year, over a third of electric blankets failed checks at a series of events held by the service. Out of the 547 electric blankets tested, a huge 188 blankets failed and are no longer being used.
Invitation open to all
Please bring your electric blanket along for a free safety check at any of our events. If you are unable to attend an event, could a family member, friend, carer or neighbour bring it instead?
Here are some simple tips.
Check your electric blanket regularly and do not use it if:
• There are any scorch marks or discoloured areas on the fabric of the blanket
• Wires are visible or poking through the fabric
• The fabric is frayed or worn
• There is damage to the power cable
• The control makes a buzzing sound when switched on or gives off a scorching smell
• The blanket's connector - where the electrical cable plugs into the blanket – is damaged or over-heating
• Your blanket is over 10 years old as they need replacing every 10 years.
Home safety visits
If you or someone you know would like some extra support in making their home safer from fire, please get in touch.
Or you can opt for an online check you can do yourself. https://www.safelincs.co.uk/hfsc/?ref=ESFRS
This easy-to-follow home fire safety check has been developed through a partnership between the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC), Fire Kills and Safelincs. It will take you through your home one room at a time and the simple questions will help you spot fire risks as you go around your home.
The tool will offer tips and advice on the steps you can take to reduce those risks. At the end, you will receive a personalised fire safety action plan to help keep you and your household safe from fire.