Skip to main content

East Sussex Fire and Rescue issues extractor fans advice

14 September 2023

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is issuing safety advice about extractor fans in order to help prevent fires.

There are several types of extractor fans, they are devices that remove moist air, steam, odours from rooms, some can be used to even remove dust or dirt. Fans are commonly used in bathrooms and kitchens, where they help to prevent mould, dampness, and unpleasant smells.

Although, extractor fans are safe, they can cause fires if not looked after or become faulty.  There is a risk of fire if they become blocked and overheat or develop a fault.

If you notice that your extractor fan is starting to make unusual noises, becoming too hot to use, or if you see any sparks coming out of it, please stop using it and call a professional.

Extractor fans come with warnings about the potential to cause fires, so it’s always best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

When using an extractor fan, it is important to always be aware of the following:

  • Clean regularly to ensure build up of dust is removed.
  • Do not leave on after use. Especially at night when you are asleep.
  • If the extractor fan starts making strange noises, stop using and get it checked.
  • If a fire starts, get out, stay out and call the Fire Service.

For more fire safety advice why not book a home safety visits, if you or someone you know would like some extra support in making their home safer from fire, please call 0800177069 or get in touch on the links below.

You can opt for an online check you can do yourself.