Are you engaging, approachable, supportive, resilient, compassionate and adaptable? Becoming a firefighter is an amazing career and it could be perfect for you!
Firefighters come in all ages, shapes and sizes, so we welcome applications from all communities. We want our service to reflect the communities we serve and so we are keen to hear from as many people as possible, whatever your background.
- Over 17 and a half years old on the date you apply? (There's no upper age limit.)
- A UK/EU citizen or a permanent resident of the UK without any work restrictions?
- Able to speak at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English?
- Willing to get an LGV driving licence within two years of joining? (You don’t need a driving licence to apply.)
- Confident with entering and working in water?
You don’t need any particular qualifications to become a firefighter however you’ll be expected to sit tests at a similar level to English and Maths GCSEs.
Please don't rule yourself out as this is an amazing opportunity.
Leadership happens in every role in our Service
Whether you are a firefighter, handle 999 calls, work in prevention or protection or in our training and professional services teams, how you behave day-to-day is what makes you an East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service leader.
Being a leader isn’t about your job title, how many qualifications you have or courses you’ve been on. It’s about the difference you make to the people around you, the performance of your team and ultimately to the service we provide for our local communities.
By including, valuing and motivating others, giving and listening to feedback and working as part of a team, everyone can ‘walk the talk’ of being a good leader in all work situations – during incidents and operations, in our fire stations, offices, training sessions and meetings, in emails and on social media.
Read more about our Leadership and Behavioural Framework