Many of our Community Volunteer applications and activities are on hold at this time due to Covid. We want to ensure we protect our Volunteers, the Community and Fire Service Colleagues.
We do, however, have an important new opportunity. The service identified a need within the Community during Covid for a befriending service. Therefore, we can now introduce to you the ‘Befriending Volunteer’ role.
The main purpose of the ‘Befriending Volunteer’ role is to speak with isolated adults across East Sussex and the City of Brighton & Hove. Individuals are identified with the aim of reducing their social isolation.
We would like to thank our existing volunteers for all the time, hard work and support they have given.
The Service continues to monitor the position during this time and we will continue to keep our web pages updated on any opportunities that may become available and how you can assist East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.
- Taking part in large-scale joint training exercises (e.g. simulated rail crash, simulated fire in a secure residential centre, simulated fire in underground tourist attraction) - volunteers act as injured casualties/concerned bystanders/interfering relatives, helping to make the scenarios as realistic as possible
- Electric Blanket Testing - help set up the venues in advance, welcoming attendees, take details of attendees, generate HSV referrals
- Summer Fun and Safety Days - assisting organisers set-up, welcoming parents and children, helping run sports and arts activities, generating HSV referrals
- 999 Emergency Services Weekends - assisting ESFRS with running their stalls (e.g. badge-making stall, Black Museum Stall, helping children sit in the fire appliances, generate HSV referrals)
- Resilience Project - Working with vulnerable referrals from Adult Social Care, building up the resilience to enable referred clients to live a healthier, sustainable lifestyle.
We are proud that our volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and have varying abilities, who are able to assist at many events, as well as fundraising activities.