Candles, decorations and decorative lights are a growing cause of fires.
Find out how to reduce the risks caused by electrical decorative lighting and what lights to use inside and outside your home.
How to use candles and incense safely
- Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed. Never leave a candle, incense or oil burner unattended.
- Candles, incense or oil burners should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
- Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that's things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
- Be especially careful if you have a lot of flammable items in your home, like collections of books, magazines or papers.
- Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
- To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets.
Take extra care when you're celebrating
Diwali, Halloween, Hanukkah and Christmas can see us light candles, dress up, and display lots of decorations – increasing the risk of fire. Make sure all your decorations are kept away from naked flames. Make sure you don't put candles in, or by, a Christmas tree, plants, flowers or other foliage.
You should also take care to keep ribbons, festive decorations made of tissue paper or cardboard, and greetings cards away from heaters, lights, fireplaces and candles.
Putting candles out
Never leave a candle unattended. Make sure you:
- put out candles before you leave a room and before you go to bed
- never leave a burning candle or oil burner in a child's bedroom
- use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out - blowing them can send sparks and hot wax flying
- double-check that they are completely out and not still smouldering
Decorative lights and electrical safety
Fairy lights and Christmas tree lights don't get used very often, so you should make sure they are in good working order before using them:
- check that lights aren't damaged or broken and look out for loose or worn wires
- check that the fuse in the plug is the right size - the lights' packaging should tell you the maximum size of fuse you should use
- don't overload sockets
- replace any bulbs that blow
- switch the lights off when you go to bed or leave the house
- don't let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper or fabrics and other Christmas tree decorations
If you are unsure about the safety of last year's Christmas lights, don't use them.