The 2006 Scheme is a final salary pension scheme, which came into effect on 6 April 2006. It is also known as the New Firefighters Pension Scheme (NFPS).
It was open to all firefighters regardless of duty system or hours of employment.
All retained and volunteer firefighters recruited on or after 6th April 2006 automatically had the right to membership of this scheme unless they opted otherwise.
Additionally, those retained or volunteer firefighters recruited before 6th April 2006 had the opportunity of joining this scheme.
On 6 April 2015, the Firefighters Pension Scheme (2006) closed to new entrants.
So, current active members will be those who:
- were operational firefighters;
- joined the scheme before 6 April 2015;
- have not opted out of the scheme;
- have not had any subsequent break in continuity of employment;
- have full or tapered protection.