Skip to main content

Carbon Monoxide (CO)

  • Gas appliance neglect can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Recognize the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and take immediate action.
  • Gas appliances that are not properly set up or maintained can result in CO poisoning.
  • Improper burning of fuels can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
  • Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and highly toxic gas that can cause death within minutes.
  • Approximately 20 people die each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning from faulty gas systems, and many more fall ill.
  • Carbon monoxide cannot be detected by the senses, but it can be deadly without warning.

Watch out for these symptoms

  • A small headache
  • Feeling dizzy
  • Feeling sick
  • Throwing up
  • Feeling tired
  • Feeling sleepy

Carbon Monoxide & camping

  • Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that you can't see or smell.
  • Make sure your camping lights and stoves are clean and set up correctly to avoid creating carbon monoxide.
  • Never use a barbecue grill or lit charcoal inside closed spaces like tents or caravans.
  • Point the exhaust of any generator away from areas where people are.
  • Keep in mind that any fuel that burns or smoulders can create carbon monoxide, which is harmful.

More information

The GOV.UK website has more information about Carbon Monoxide poisoning.