Skip to main content
Did you know?
- Research indicates that around a quarter of all adult drowning victims have alcohol in their bloodstream.
- Between 2018 and 2022, 360 accidental drownings in the UK involved drugs and alcohol.
Don't become part of the statistics. If you've had a drink, stay away from the water.
- Don’t enter the water if you have been drinking
- Alcohol seriously affects your ability to get yourself out of trouble
- Look out for your friends, make sure they get home safely
- Don’t walk home near water, you might fall in
Effects of alcohol on the body
- Alcohol lowers inhibitions, leading to impaired judgment which means you are more likely to take risks and get into trouble
- Alcohol limits muscle ability making simple movements much harder
- Alcohol slows down your reactions making it more difficult to get yourself out of trouble
- Alcohol numbs the senses particularly sight, sound and touch, making swimming very difficult